December 15, 2010

The True Meaning of Christmas

Reader 1singingman submits this heartwarming holiday tale.

Before we left the Spaghetti Factory last night, my wife and I stopped at the beautiful Christmas tree in the restaurant’s entry. It was covered with paper ornaments carrying names of children from the local Foster Care Center.
Along with their name were a few Christmas wishes of each child: a pair of socks; some bed sheets; a can of condensed milk. We looked at each other, then back at the tree. After a few moments of awkward silence I grabbed one of the paper ornaments and we exited the restaurant.
The drive back home seemed endless. I could hardly wait to get home and start on my new Christmas project.
When we finally reached home, I rushed into the house. I went to the tree and -- high above the layers of magnificently wrapped gifts -- I placed that little ornament. That small but earnest thing would remind us of just how fortunate we were and just how poor and desperate this child was.
That would certainly make my kids like me better.
Yes, it was going to be a good Christmas this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment